Monday, October 15, 2007

I'd rather see a pink toaster.

Pink Product of the Day: The Will to Live


"I want to die from eating too much chocolate.

I want to die from exhaustion from dancing the tango.

I want to die from laughing too hard on my 87th birthday.

I refuse to die from breast cancer."

So says Lynn Redgrave, in a chock-full-of-hope commericial, and bully for you, Lynn. If only I'd known that it was just a matter of will -- that if I'd dug in my heels and held my breath, my plain ol' pigheadness could have saved me.

You're an inspiration.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

that people think willpower can conquer illness seems to be pretty universal. An internist once asked L (re: bipolar depression) if she'd tried "faking it 'til she made it."

One doesn't get past a serious illness with techniques provided by grocery store self-help pamphlets. It would be great if all the money wasted by that "industry" went to actually researching efective treatments.. /rant off

Anonymous said...

it's always the people unsick/unaffected/untouched by a given illness or trauma who are the best at dishing out 'advice'.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Lynn Redgrave.
WAKE UP, GEORGY GIRL!

Martha said...

I don't know why I'm shocked that a physician would suggest "faking it until making it" to someone w/ bipolar depression, but I am!

Yikes.

Lynn Redgrave is being plucky in the commerical... I consider it whistling in the dark... but it's just toooooo much for me. Too much pink. Too much October. Too much freaking hope.

Unknown said...

“It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.”

* Clockwise
* 1986
* John Cleese