Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Done.



October ends as it began, with my suggestion for a new breast cancer logo. Why not put this on your Christmas ornaments and vacuum cleaners?

I don't want to wish away time. I really don't want want to wish away time. But I'm glad October is over.

I wish that my awareness of breast cancer would diminish in November and December and the new year. I suspect that it will not.

I usually wear a hat at work. I wear a hat at work and almost nowhere else. I don't wear bonnets or flowered scarves or idiosyncratic floppy things, but small skull caps or knit caps in neutral tones.

I do this because I work in an outlying area, geographically close to Berkeley and Oakland and San Francisco, but a million miles away in terms of culture. It's just the facts. I work with people who were born and raised in towns like San Leandro and Fremont and they never left. Some of them have lived 20 minutes from San Francisco for 50-plus years and haven't gone there five times.

I like them. I'm just saying.

So.. I took my hat off for a moment today, and one of the women I work with began to laugh. I asked her what was funny. She told me that my hair (the barest wisps of hair) looked like a "mangy dog". Then she laughed some more.

I dunno. I can't claim to really have been hurt by it. Just... wow. A month of pink ribbons and TV movies and shopping for the cure and blah blah blah... but... keep yer head covered, lady. Cover your head, accentuate your cheekbones, and look pretty in pink.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it.

Now that's a pink product I would wear.

Pennie

Pickle and Peanut Eating Hawaii said...

A f-ing mangy dog? Holy smokes...

Martha said...

Yep. She said mangy dog. Her exact words!

Anonymous said...

That lady shouldn't be allowed to sit at the grownup table....it's hard to fathom what a small, stupid world some people inhabit.

Anonymous said...

i won't write what i want to say about mangy woman, because it might come off as mean. but god... what corner of the globe do these wretches come from? and why oh why must we share air with them?

Martha said...

Hi Doreen and all -- I think if you met her you might like her (until she started talking about my hair). Like me, she'll make a joke about ANYthing.

But I won't be an apologist. I didnt like the mangy dog thing one bit.