Sunday, June 05, 2005

Yesterday


A good morning!

Although I had a nice day yesterday, and spent time with people I love, yesterday was a little "flat" for me. It was just one of those days: I was out of sorts, and nothing seemed shiny and bright. Prior to my diagnosis, that wouldn't even have been noteworthy. It would have a been an ok weekend with fun activities and just one more weekend in a seemingly endless stream of weekends and so what ....?

What really happened is that I kept forgetting that I had cancer. Our friend Luana came over to see us in the morning -- Luana is a bundle of good energy and aloha spirit -- and it was all good and chatty and yakyakyak... and then SPLAT. I'd remember .... oh man.... I have CANCER.

It seems funny to me that I could forget, but I sure did. I guess that's a good thing, although it'd be nice to not remember once an hour.

Jane came over in the afternoon, and it was good to have her here. When I'm in trouble, Jane has an amazing ability to "stick with me" -- so if I want to laugh, Jane is there laughing with me, and if I want to cry, Jane will be there, too.

The three of us went to a yummy & belated birthday dinner at Breads of India in Berkeley, and then met Tom for a play at the The Ashby Stage.

Eric and I are season ticket holders there, and I've liked all of their productions -- but this one was a bit experimental & disjointed & artsy for my taste. But it did have full front nudity & a man who shrank and woke up inside a brandy bottle & eventually fell to his death when the bottle was knocked off a balcany railing, so there was that.

Today we're heading off to "A Day at the Races". It's a fundraiser for Eric's school's booster club. It's at Golden Gate Fields, where we'll bet on the horses and eat a fancy buffet and sit in the sunshine. Another jam-packed weekend.

I think it's better to carry a little bit of sadness about my condition in my heart at all times, than to forget about it and be confronted with unpleasant truth throughout the day.

I have no control over this, of course.

No comments: