Wednesday, June 29, 2005

My dogs are barking.

Where does that expression come from, I wonder?

Eric and I walked so much yesterday -- we walked & walked & walked. The history here is amazing, and all but lost on the kids I see being dragged around from old building to old building. This is the right time for us to be here.

Yesterday we went to the White House in the morning. It wasn't nearly as grand as I expected it to be... it's kinda small. Even the State Room, where they have state dinners, isn't as large as I had anticipated. But I didn't anticipate that it would be so cool just to be there. Every room had a zillion stories, and so many of the rooms were familiar. I even recognized the bottom of the stairs where Bush & foreign cohorts stop for photo ops.

Ya'll know I don't give a hoot for celebrity. But this was different. The White House was history.

Next we went to the The National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden. It was the hottest part of the day -- boy is it hot & humid here - but the garden & sculptures were very cool.

Yesterday we also went to the International Spy Museum. The literature suggested that we plan three hours for the museum, but we thought there was no way we'd be there that long. We ended up being there three hours. It was very interesting -- lots of real spy gadgets & equipment, and taped interviews with spys and spy-catchers. There was a special exhibit about the history of terrorism in the U.S. that was particularly well done.

Today we're going to the Smithsonian Museums. There are many, many, of them. I hope our feet hold out! Tonight we're going to the National Theater to see Mama Mia. What the hell?

Here are a few pictures from the Sculpture Garden. (No cameras allowed in the White House or Spy Museum.)





No comments: