Friday, June 24, 2005

This one's going out to Jeb Bush.

I know that all of the Christians in this country aren't racist, but are most of the racists in this country Christian?

Pastor and KKK-member Edgar Ray Killen was found guilty of manslaughter in the 1964 slaying of three civil rights workers in Mississippi:

Ex-Klansman Found Guilty

When I began my mission to understand Christianity, I was disinclined to make generalizations about Christians.

That was before I knew that most Christians in this country have put more thought into what breakfast cereal to eat in the morning than they've ever put into whether or not they actually believe in an omnicient, omnipotent, God.

Many (if not most) of them think they're Christians simply because they're Americans. Or, they're Christians because they're "good people who try to do the right thing", a grossly mistaken notion of Christianity.

What I've observed is that the more seriously they take their doctrine, the more likely Christians will be hateful, seething, right-wing, racist, warmongers.

They may well be misinterpreting their Good Book. I'll leave that for others to decide, because personally... I don't think anything good can arise from an idealogy that's founded on bullshit. What the bible has to say isn't very pretty, frankly, even if the most benign Christians think Jesus was a groovy guy who preached lovelovelove. Even if it were pretty... is it a plus to believe a pretty lie?

Bottom line is that Christianity and racism go together like peanut butter and jelly. No one needs to send me a list of exceptions, either. Exceptions prove the rule.

Pastor Killen lived to be an old man. Bully for him, huh?

No comments: