Wednesday, May 18, 2005

It's just weird.

I had my first "treatment" today.

The nurse who stepped through the door of the Chemotherapy Suite (where there are no mints on the pillows) and called my name, was Lisa. Lisa is the nurse who administered each of my chemo treatments three years ago. She smiled, happy to see me, and said "How ya doing?".

I said... "Well...."

Then she asked me how long it'd been since I'd been there, and I told her it hadn't been long enough, and that I meant no offense but that I'd hoped to never see her again.

She said, "I know you did."

But... there I was with Lisa.

I was given an injection that completely shuts down ovarian function. I'm scheduled to receive one of these shots every three months. Whatever it is, it must be pretty powerful to have that kind of effect for so long.

In addition to the every-three-month shot, I'll be taking one tiny white pill a day. This is endocrine (hormonal) therapy.

It seems like a quiet treatment, given my screaming fear.

But, anyway, who knows... everything could change as we figure out more about my specific diagnosis. And an infrequent, low-side-effect treatment is preferable, if it works.

That's all I have to report tonight 'cept that Eric, upon reading the previous post, laughed outloud twice.

I don't know why he thinks it's so funny, but I'm glad he does.

No comments: