Saturday, May 14, 2005

Bad news is still news.

A diagnosis of a malignancy in my sternum is scary, scary news for me. I'm terrified and angry and I don't know if I'm strong enough to do this... but at least now I know. I know something. Boy oh boy was it not what I wanted to hear.

On my fortieth birthday I woke up to coffee with Eric and a wonderful present: this laptop computer. It was such a great gift and I was happy, happy.

I tried to start it up but there was some technical problem -- not sure what it was -- and I didn't get that immediate satisfaction of "Oooooooooh, look at that!"

I fussed with it for a bit, but then I had to get to the DMV. I needed to renew my license in person, and I needed to do it it early, as Eric and I were heading off to (a really, really, nice) weekend in Reno that morning.

I was in a line at the DMV when Eric surprised me. He'd found me there to tell me that he'd called tech support, and that my computer was running. I would have been home in 15 minutes, but my Eric couldn't stand the thought of me spending that extra amount of time not knowing that my computer was up & running.

Eric fixed it.

Eric fixes things for me. He fixes my stuff, and he fixes my situations, and he fixes my head and my heart. I don't know how I got so lucky, but I know that it's what Eric wants. And here we are... the same two people we've been for all these years, and Eric can help but he can't fix it.

We're both so scared right now. Please keep both of us in your thoughts as we try to negotiate the first days of this new and unwanted adventure.

No comments: