Saturday, October 01, 2005

I love Saturday.

We slept in until 7:30 today! I can't believe that sleeping until 7:30 is "sleeping in" for me, but it sure is.

This morning I was remembering how I used to work six days a week. Eric had forgotten, but I will never forget. I worked six days a week for several years, starting at 6:00 AM. Monday through Saturday. I was a salaried employee with two weeks of vacation of year. What a sucky situation.

I remember that one year I went in on Christmas morning, just to check on something.

I don't think I'm that dedicated an employee anymore. Now I work 190 days a year, 7.5 hours a day, and I have a calendar on my desk with a countdown 'til summer: 164 workdays, 163 workdays, 162 workdays...

Conversely, I think I'm probably a better employee now. I'm more organized, and I procrastinate less. I'm less interested in or involved with gossip, politics, et cetera. I just want to get it done, and go home.

At that other job, though... I made some of the best friends of my life. So no regrets there, either.

Today is Saturday and I loooooove Saturday. I'm going to read The Magician's Nephew (from C.S. Lewis' Narnia series -- I'm re-reading these childhood favorites with Tom), and do laundry, and drink coffee, and perhaps do a little mosaic-making-related-shopping. This evening we're going to Corinne's for dinner with Tom, and then off to see the Shotgun Player's latest production.

That's a nice day, and I 'preciate it.

No comments: