Sunday, August 14, 2005

Feels like fall today.

I've been buying Back to School clothes. I've liked doing this, even though I'm not "a shopper". It's some kind of a throwback to childhood, but now I have my own money and no one telling me what kind of shoes to buy. It feels like progress.

For me, Autumn has always been a combo-pak of happiness and sentimentality and melancholy. This year, of course, it's hard to avoid The Countdown.

In a way this feels incredibly petty to me. Everyone's dying, and some folks die very quickly. We all know someone (or at least of someone) who was diagnosed with cancer and was gone three months later. We all are familiar with folks who died suddenly of strokes or heart attacks or unfortunate accidents.

Yet here I am, going on & on ...

Really, though, all I want is to be with Eric. The two of us, side by side, in 10, 15, 20, 25 years. Facing the same direction, looking out into the world, and holding hands. Anything other than that just doesn't seem fair.

No comments: