Sunday, April 15, 2007

I can't believe I have to go to work tomorrow.

The moment Eric and I walked into this house I knew that I wanted it. I told the real estate agent I wanted it before I'd even walked upstairs... knew I wanted it despite the three-tone brown shag carpeting, the pastel blue walls, the heavy draperies.

I couldn't believe it was even possible! I grew up in a ranch house in Long Beach, California. Two story homes were fancy to me, and I loved this house, and I couldn't believe that it could belong to us. I remember smiling at Eric and asking with disbelieve "could this be ours?"

A few times a year for the first several years, Eric and I would find strange things hidden here & there. Large stashes of old nylon stockings (the garter-kind), a buck knife taped beneath the bottom of a drawer, a WW1-era bayonet in the basement, a fake gun with real bullets in a cigar box on a secret shelf in a pitch-black-secret wiggle space "behind" the back wall of a closet...

Not to mention a gazillion hooks and pieces of decorate scrap wood nailed to the walls.

I never felt anything but good about this place, though. Finding stuff was an adventure. I wanted to live here for a long, long, time -- I thought perhaps we would live here together until we were too old and grey to make it up the stairs. Still, almost from the beginning I've hidden stuff for future owners to discover.

I stashed a few pretty marbles here and there -- nothing obvious, and I've already forgotten where most of them are. I've turned a few marbles into the dirt in the flower beds, as well.

I've tucked away an amethyst or two, some fortune cookie fortunes, a dried flower, and I taped the words "I love Eric" on the inside of the bathroom wall during a remodel.

I think I'm leaving nicer stuff than I found.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

forgot to say, i've put in a request for barry tix!! fingers and toes crossed please (eric's amnesia will have to find another place of repose)

Anonymous said...

i left a comment earlier but i closed the window by mistake. i was saying what a cool thing it is to stash things for future residents. i did it as a kid; i drew tonnes of pictures and hid them in the (defunct) chimney in my bedroom. i'm sure you'll give people plenty to think about, and stories to imagine.