Saturday, June 24, 2006

Saturday

I don't know when I'll be able to post this, but I'm writing on Saturday evening.

I don't know where to begin! We arrived on Thursday afternoon, after a three hour flight from SFO. Janis was nice enough to take us at the crack of dawn -- us and our many, giant, bags -- and the flight went well. I sometimes dread air travel. Sometimes I don't, but sometimes I do. Our flight to Puerto Vallarta was trouble-free... we sat next to a nice, 82 year old woman. She was a pleasant companion. Also: our Alaska Airline flight only offered pay-for-it-yourself food service. My ham-and-cheese sandwich exceeded expectations. It was a good start!

The airport in Puerto Vallarta was air conditioned and efficent. Eric gamely avoided a few sales pitches and in no time we were in our rental car, making a perilous, confusing, U-turn on the main drag that would lead us to our resort.

And here we are!

We love it... absolutely love it. We spent all day Friday and today on the beach and in the ocean, which is no more than 120 feet from our room (the water, not just beach). The room is more than adequate, with tiled floors that the very thorough maid mops daily (no sand), and television with American programming options, and a shower that kicks ass. The water pressure ROCKS. And did I mention that we're right on the beach?

The ocean couldn't be more perfect. It's soooo warm. There's not a brrr or a goosebump. I dive right in, and I'm a notoriously slow water getter inner.

And the waves are wonderful. In the morning the ocean is glassy flat, except for soft, perfectly formed, waves that are just the thing for body surfing. As the day goes on the waves become bigger and the water choppier. Eventually the waves become serious enough that you don't want to turn your back on them. I was tumbled just once, and I'll make sure that doesn't happen again.

We've been on the beach for two days, spending (literally) hours in the water. I mean, serious hours. We read in the lounge chairs under our favorite palapa. Needless to say, we've found our SPOT. There's an afternoon nap in our air conditioned room, as well.

it's just perfect.

There are more pools than I've ever seen before... giant, ornately shaped pools, but I haven't stuck a toe in one yet. Why bother, with the beach right outside our door?

There are also bars everywhere, and the cocktails are good, but we haven't had many.

The food is entirely adequate and occasionally good. They have the best vanilla ice cream. And there's alaways food available... there are five restaurants, three buffets and two snack bars. Honestly, we're so taken with the beach that we haven't given the food much thought.

The only bummer is that I have a sunburn. I've used sun screen liberally, but there's not getting around the fact that my skin is meant for the bogs of Ireland, not the blazing Mexican sun.

That's all I have to report for now.

No comments: