Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Sing, Sing A Song

I'm feeling less tired, and the wound-that-will-not-heal is healing. It's amazing what a month off chemo can do!

I know it's not just the good cells that are growing, but for right now I don't care. Who knows how long this will last? I'll enjoy it as much as I can, while I can.

Today The Ladies Who Lunch talked about a woman who works in our building who was mean, mean, mean until she had breast cancer. Once she had breast cancer she learned (according to them) that if she reaches out to people they will be there for her.

Well, most folks know how I feel about cancer-as-the-best-thing-that-ever-happened-to-me hooey. I think there might be a handful of early stage folks who can sing that song, but they're few and far between.

I don't know what song I sing, if not the I Love Eric song, or the I'm Going To The Doctor's Office Again song.

And I haven't really reached out to people in a while. This illness is too long-term to be reaching, reaching, reaching. For good or ill, I mostly reach in, and what I've found there hasn't surprised me. I don't have to reach for Eric, because he's never that far away.

But whatever. I'm feeling less tired, and I can envision a day without sterile packing material and bandages. Eric's sleeping a few feet from me -- he's tired, tired, tonight... a bit under the weather -- and there are only fifteen work days left in the school year.

I'll take it!

No comments: