Sunday, May 13, 2007

Eric & Anniversary & Appointments

Eric was always, and continues to be, totally cool.

When Eric was sixteen years old he and a friend bought a small boat, a clam rake, and a clamming license. They would go clamming for a few hours after school and make $30 to $100 dollars a day -- each. That was pretty good money for a couple o' teenagers in 1974. Someone working an 8 hour day at the federal minimum wage in 2007 earns just $41.20.

I wish I'd known him then, but I was nine years old and living on the other side of the country. It would be another 14 years before I'd be lucky enough to meet him, and on Tuesday it'll be 19 years since I looked up from my book and saw Eric for the first time.

Along with his handsomeness (300 percent more handsome than the next most handsome man) and sweetness and funniness and intelligence, I've always loved Eric's competence. Eric can DO things. Even as a sixteen year old he could own a fishing boat and work on the motor when it had problems.

We've had a quiet, unexpectedly-no-chemo weekend. We went out to see two movies: "Spiderman 3" and "28 Weeks Later". Other than that we've mostly just lounged around.

The next two weeks are mega-medical-appointment weeks for me. Ima figure out how to keep my head up and my nose to the grindstone at the same time. It'll all be okay in the end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

isn't a man who can DO stuff just about the most attractive type there is? nothing like a capable man.
i hope your weekend goes accordingly, martha. we're off to ireland today, so my blog inspections will be minimal. as you know, dial up in ireland sucks and broadband is non-existent in my parents' house. but, we'll be thinking of you and sending you good thoughts.
xx