Thursday, September 22, 2005

No Worries

The title of the previous post is "Creation Myths", and that's what it's about. It's about the stories we're told of our creation. There's a striking difference between the stories Eric and I were told about our mothers' pregnancies.

I don't believe that Eric's mother was blissful and happy for every moment she carried Eric, but that's the story she tells. I don't believe that my mother was on the brink of death every moment she carried me, but that's the story she told.

Them's the facts. I'm just reporting. The story is the story.

As for the rhetorical question -- is it wrong of me to think that my mother might be pleased that I'm dying -- I was just living up to the high standard that was set for me as Unsweet Martha. I don't think she'd be pleased... although I don't think she'd have any idea what to say to me, either.

That is exactly what makes the Second Act so astounding.

I get to live a life that I love with a husband I adore, and it's hard to beat that. The rest of it is pretty far away... not anything I'd typically talk about... and no reason for any faithful blog readers to be alarmed.

It's Thursday evening. Tomorrow is date night, and Saturday is a day-long tribute to Jerry Garcia at the Greek Theater. And Sunday? Sunday is for sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

No comments: