Wednesday, November 09, 2005

What the oncologists suggested.

My oncologist's recommendations were very similar to those of the 2nd opinion oncologist (who I spoke with first). It's a long story, and the details aren't important. In short, I will begin taking a drug called Aredia, starting on Monday. Aredia is a drug that strengthens bones, and makes them less likely to fracture.

It is administered monthly by a 90 minute to two hour infusion. It's generally well tolerated -- that's what the doctors say. I know quite a few women who don't concur, but perhaps they are the exceptions. This is not what folks think of as chemotheraphy. This is a drug to strengthen bones.

In addition, I will be taking a drug called goserelin (zoladex), which is administered via monthly abdominal injection. Goserelin stops the production of leuteinising hormone from the pituitary gland, which leads to a reduction in estrogen levels. Is it starting to read like adults sound on Charlie Brown sound? Wah wah wah WAH wah WAH wah wah.

I wll continue with an aromatase inhibitor, such as the drug I'm already taking, armidex.

So - I'm continuing with hormonal therapy. My doctor cautions that I am unlikely to respond to hormonals. However, it appears that my ovarian function was not adequately suppressed with Lupron (although my oncologist previously told me it WAS... another long story). Better to give hormonal's a fair trial than to rush to chemotherapy.

Hormonal therapy it is ... along with the bone strenthening drug. Most likely side effects of the whole combo-pak: fatigue, headaches, bone pain, nausea, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Again, this treatment is palliative, not curative. It's hard for me to get excited about this. But, anyway, that's what the oncologists suggested.

1 comment:

Soulknitting said...

Greetings Martha, I wander by your blog every now and again. Cancer sucks and you are continually in my prayers. I had cancer, had surgery, and have been doing fine for years now. I'm lucky I know. I
f I get cancer again, I'm going to see Donald Yance. Since I'm a herbalist, I have a tendancey to walk that road but I don't throw away allopathic (modeern) medicine at all; I believe it's smart to take the best of both worlds. Damn if it is not a job in and of itself to figure it all out.

Anyway, his site is http://www.centrehealing.com/Bios/DYance.html. I only wish I had 1/8 of his brain. He has many ideas (doesn't everybody?) on how to fight cancer and win.

Blessings to you and your family. Kim