Monday, November 21, 2005

Monday Morning

It's our first morning of the cruise, although I don't know when I'll be able to post this.

I'm so glad we're here. Eric is at the pool, and I'm resting in the cabin after our ballroom dancing lesson this morning. The class was very fun, and funny -- it's taught by a couple in their seventies, and there was much laughing. Eric didn't step on my feet at all.

We boarded yesterday afternoon, ate lunch, and explored the ship. It's very pretty. The public areas have the ambience of a "nice", marble-y, shiny, hotel. I was surprised and happy to find lots of holiday decorations. There are gorgeous Christmas trees around every corner in the public areas, and each decorated differently. The balconies in the atrium are decorated with garlands and ribbons. It's all pretty and polished.

Our cabin is more than adequate... surprisingly roomy, even if it's decorated in Long Island Art Deco circa 1993.

And then there's the ocean... miles and miles of it, sparkling blue, and last night the moon on the water was haunting and lovely.

I'm just so glad to be here. I'm so glad that we made it, despite all of the obstacles that were thrown in our path.

We ate in the formal dining room last night -- I had an onion tart, Tuscan tomato soup with a drizzle of pesto, and a chicken breast stuffed with prociutto and brie, with a red pepper and fruit relish. Our table is a large, 12-person, rectangular table, which is certainly not our preference, but the folks at our table are all nice enough.

After dinner we went to the show. It was an introductory affair, with a number by the ship's singers and dancers, several songs by the activities co-director (tHe position is held by a couple), and then a set by a comedian of the skinny-twitchy-ski-slope-nosed variety.

THEN we entered our first trivia contest of the cruise, and of course won first prize!

Today I didn't wake up until after 8:00 AM! We ate breakfast at the buffet, and then went off to the ballroom dancing lesson.

When Eric returns from the pool we're heading off to another trivia contest, then I'm going to check out Arts and Crafts.

Today is an at sea day. We won't be getting into Cabo San Lucas until tomorrow morning. Tonight is the captain's reception -- cocktails, hor doeuvres, and dancing -- and then a formal dinner.

I like crusie ships, and I like camping. I like going to Reno, and playing in craps tournaments, and staying up all night playing slots. I like lying on the beach and reading books. I like going for walks in the forest. I like driving across empty, flat, states with big skies and small populations. I like being on vacation, and that's something that Eric taught me how to do.

It always comes back to Eric. Always, always.

No comments: