Monday, April 17, 2006

Vacation's Over

Spring break is over, and I'm back at work. My desk isn't too bad. One of the nice things about being on vacation from a job at a school district is that (unlike other jobs) the work doesn't pile up while you're away. The joint pretty much shuts down, and there's little work accumulation.

I've been quiet lately. I haven't been returning emails or phone calls in a timely manner (if at all) and I've been a blog minimalist. I haven't been in pain, or upset, or depressed. In the absence of information about me, the people who love me sometimes assume that I'm in pain, or upset, or depressed.

I've written in the past about what it's like to consciously carry the knowledge that I'm dying. Everyone's dying, of course -- and everyone could hold that knowledge close to their hearts, but I don't think many do. I don't see why they would. There's nothing truly valuable in living each day like it's the last. I think it's much better to live like you're going to live forever.

I've said it all before.

I'm just cruising along, with nothing much to say, feeling pretty good and waiting for things to get worse.

I have an appointment with my oncologist this afternoon to assess my current treatment plan. Perhaps there'll be some happy surprise in there. That would be nice.

No comments: