Monday, February 13, 2006

V-Day

I searched through an old textbook tonight, looking for a poem I used to quote on Valentine's Day. Here it is:

There is no love. We for a moment stand
And hold at bay inevitable pain
Aghast and passionate, hand in eager hand
Before we face our loneliness again.


You can see what good company I was. I didn't know anything about romantic love, or much about any other kind of love, either. I didn't know about love, but I knew a thing or two about loneliness. I didn't see that changing anytime soon.

Eric is the surprise that just keeps getting better. Eric gives my story a happy ending. I mean that: Eric gives my story a happy ending, and isn't that an amazing thing? Isn't that a miracle?

When Eric and I were in Mexico over Thanksgiving I was determined to be there and to do whatever I could do, but I was tired and sort of beaten up. I had a broken collar bone and a burn from radiation... I had an infection in my arm and an unhappy relationship with the idea that my bones could just spontaneously fracture.

We were in the ocean, which always makes us happy. We were just walking around in the low waves, the water at shoulder-level, being very careful because of the fracture. It was all nice, until we a saw a larger wave heading straight for us. I couldn't dive under it, and I was afraid that it would send me tumbling.

And that's when my husband, said, "stay right there". Then he stood between me and the wave, and stretched his arms out with a look on his fact that I can't describe or forget... and I saw that my husband was going to hold back the Pacific Ocean so that it wouldn't hurt me.

I sure do love that man.

No comments: