Saturday, July 02, 2005

Yawn & I love Bay Area Weather!

We're home, and we've slept nearly 12 hours. We're here one day, and then we head out to Kelseyville for a (don't laugh) Steve Miller concert. I didn't know he was still around, either. It just sounded like fun to me!

So... home today (Saturday), gone Sunday, home by late morning (probably) Monday -- and then we're off on our roadtrip on Tuesday or Wednesday. I really need to do laundry and repack.

Washington was amazing.

As engaged as we were in our surroundings, Eric and I rarely thought about cancer. Cancer hit me like a half-ton of bricks when we arrived home.

My oncologist had gone on a month vacation without giving me the pathology results from my recent biopsy. He made a small effort to contact me, but 1) he called the wrong number and 2) he called at the last minute before going on a vacation for a month, so I was unable to return his call.

This made me unhappy. It wasn't that I was so anxious to hear to the results. If I'd contacted him while in D.C. I could have had them -- I didn't want to be bothered! Anyway...

I talked to the oncologist who is covering for him, and he says that my pathology came back as strongly ER positive. This is surprising news, as the tendency is for cancers to become less estrogen receptor positive, not more so.

At my initial diagnosis the tumor was 10% ER+. This time around it's 90+. I kinda think they mixed up the samples or something ... but whatever! The proof is in the pudding, and in this case the pudding is the bone scan I'll be having sometime in August. If the cancer is stable or smaller, this hormonal therapy will be said to be working, and I'll stay on it until it stops.

That's what we want. In a situation wherein it's hard to identify the best case scenario, ER+ breast cancer that responds to hormonal therapy may be it.

I'm going to throw some pics of DC up on a webpage at ohmartha. I don't want to put them here because I don't want to slow down the blog for those dial-up types (like me).

I'll post the link later.

No comments: