Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Still Sleepy!

Being at the fair was great fun, tempered by sadness. Sometimes I felt that the fair was a place for happy people, and that I wasn't one of 'em. I was disconnected from the people playing around me. Other times I saw that there's a vein of joy that runs through the fair -- through sadness and cancer and tired people and all.

Eric knows so many people there, and after seventeen years with Eric I suppose I know them, as well. There were lots of folks that Eric knows as friends, and I as acquaintances, and also many of my friends.

Some of the people who knew I have cancer didn't know what to say to me, which was fair enough because I didn't know what to say to them. They didn't want to bum me out, and I didn't want to bum them out, but really ... if you have cancer, and you don't have the occasional bummed out conversation with the people you love, you're living a phoney baloney life.

Today we're at Paul and Sue's house, and tomorrow we're off to Colorado.

I miss my home and my Bay Area friends, but so far the road trip has been A-OK.

No comments: