Thursday, July 21, 2005

Boy, it's flat here.

Rapid City, South Dakota is an unlovely city, but our hotel has a good pool and hot tub. We're relaxing in our room, and will head out to the Badlands late this afternoon. We're going to watch the sun set.

Yesterday we went to Wind Cave -- another interesting cave, and 300 more steps for us (but mostly down).

We also went to Mount Rushmore. I have opinions about Mount Rushmore (surprise, surprise) but I won't go into it here. I will say that even though there's no objective historical truth, it does seem a bit unctuous to be waxing poetic about Roosevelt's handling of Indian affairs in the very hills that are symbolic of the United State's massive double-cross of Native Americans.

Also: While in D.C. I found myself being reminded of how and why a given place, person, or event was important. There was much to-do about the significance of this document or that room... there was very little horn blowing and rah rahing about American values and presidents and whatnot. The visitor center at Mount Rushmore should take a lesson.

Yesterday was a serious wildlife siting day. In addition to deer and squirrels and a bunny rabbit... I also saw, for the first time, a bald eagle, buffalo, prarie dogs, and prong-horned antelope.

Finally, yesterday evening Eric and I attended an interesting lecture about the CCC.

When I die I won't be leaving very much behind. I won't leave a book or bridge, a building or a monument, or even a little swaddled bundle of DNA. All that will be left of me are peoples' memories, and that'll be a mixed bag, for sure.

In the gift shop at the Custer State Park, I saw a Christmas ornament I really liked. My weakness, y'know.

I had it in my mind to buy it, and then I thought, "Why do that? Why leave Eric with one more useless thing of mine to deal with when I'm gone?"

I don't want to leave Eric with burdens... the burden of grief, the burden of stuff, the burden of memories....

I'm not sure what's a burden and what's a gift. Sometimes I don't know my blessings from my curses. A mixed bag. Who knows....?

No comments: