Thursday, July 28, 2005

Refuge of the road.

We are spending a second night in Kellogg, Idaho -- partly because it's such a pleasant town and hotel, and partly because I've had a bit of a cold, and I felt like I needed a day of quiet recooperation.

This morning we drove out to Coeur d'Alene. The lake is beautiful, and the town is tourist-y but still nice. I loved the old (late 1800's) houses. Driving around I was filled with a longing to buy one of those pretty houses and move to Idaho. It seemed simple. Live in Oakland and have cancer, or live in Coeur d'Alene and be healthy!

I've loved this trip -- nine states, and six of them I'd never even been to before -- but there's also an element of running away. That doesn't take away from how great my travels with Eric have been. Still, as soon as I go home I'll be on the cancer train again. Is it any wonder I want to jump off the back of the caboose?

We walked around downtown, had lunch, bought Christmas ornaments and penny candy, and then went for a drive around the lake.

When we returned to Kellogg, we went on a tour of an actual gold mine. Most gold mine tours are full o' baloney, but this one was the real deal. The cave was soooo interesting. We do love caves, and this one had wonderful examples of formations that had been growing for just 150 years. We've seen plenty of long ribbons and drapes (a little caving lingo for you), but to see how ribbons start... now that's a rarity.

After the tour we were given an hour to "pan for gold". There was gold to be found, but it was just dust, and it was impossible for us to distinguish between the cold and the pyrite. What we did find were big, pretty, amethysts. (They seed the sand with them... makes it pretty darn fun.) So... we didn't find any gold, but we did walk away with a little baggy of amythest, quartz, citron, and pyrite.

Now we're back at the hotel and I'm tired. My day wasn't as restful as I'd hoped, but it was sure fun. I'm glad to be here, and happy to be moving on tomorrow.

No comments: