Saturday, January 05, 2008

Fun Until They Fixed It

Eric and I discovered, when we returned home from my 6 hour stint in the BPR (Blue Plastic Recliner), that we were without electricity.

It wasn't unexpected. It was a dark and stormy day. The little beige television that swings on an awkward girder-and-industrial-spring mechanism at the hospital had been full o' reporters who were blah blah blahing about the rain and the power outages. Much ado about nothing, I thought.

Apparently it was the biggest storm in TWO YEARS! I can't tell you how that made me laugh the first time I heard it. Two years! Feh.

Anyway... we had no electricity and no heat, but Eric built a cheery, crackling, fire. We opened up the blinds to catch what light would filter through the clouds & rain, and played Gin (Eric won two out of three games, of course). The fire made the ornaments on our can't-believe-it's-still-standing-xmas-tree sparkle. We talked & talked.

I loved it, and I was sad when our electricity was restored in an annoyingly efficient time frame.

That's more or less my whole story. Chemo was fine. Tonight's been fine -- although our house has just been infused with the potent smell of skunk. It's STRONG. And it's within a few days of the one year anniversary of our horrible possum experience. So... wish us luck on the skunk front.

2 comments:

Cat said...

We get skunked regularly at school, I loath those days as we have to teach in the gym and the kids have different expectations in there than in the classroom. Oh, the joys of disruption!

Anyway, best of luck with the house, and happy new year!

Liesl

Anonymous said...

Will there be a skunk haiku?
"Why, dead possum? Why" was the best poem ever.