Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Mission, Part A, Accomplished



These volunteer sweet peas were growing where the house that my father shared with his brother in Balmorhea, Texas used to be. They made me think of my mother, who grew beautiful, beautiful, sweet peas -- my favorite flower -- in the yard of our family home in Southern California.

We walked a few blocks looking for the house... doubting ourselves and then shaking our heads. It should be right here on one of these two blocks... a corner lot... the big pecan tree in the front yard.

We ran into the local Justice of the Peace, who told me that he knew "Popeye" (my father's childhood nickname) very well. But none of the people I knew are still in Balmorhea, the small west Texas town where my father grew up and passed away -- with a roughly 40-year stay in California in between.

I really wanted to visit Balmorhea one more time. My mother and my brother Mark's ashes are nowhere, or everywhere (depending on how you want to look at it). But my father is somewhere... he's in the cemetery in Balmorhea... and even though I'm not a sentimental person, and I believe that death is the ultimate period-at-the-end-of-the-sentence-story-over X-out... I wanted to go there.

We turned right at Victor's gas station and started the short drive into the country (there's just a little bit of town and whole lot of country there), to the cemetery. I recognized soooo many names in that cemetery: Pittman, Kingston, Crenshaw... they were the names of my childhood dinner table, from my father's stories.

There was something unexpected at my father's headstone:





Someone had piled stones at his headstone, and placed an aluminum foil wrapped Maxwell House coffee can. There were incense sticks in the can... as if someone had come there many times and burned incense for my father. I didn't see anything similar on anyone else's grave

I have no idea who it was, but I'm glad they did.

In the months following my mother's death, my dad and I would sit up together. One night he told me that he had been lonely every day of his life before marrying my mother. He said that he thought I'd understand -- that he figured I was a lonely person, too. And I was.

He's next to his parents and sister, my Aunt Helen. There are wildflowers in the cemetery. And scrub, of course, and hard-packed ground... roadrunners and rabbits and in the distance there are hills. It may be a cliche, but it was peaceful. Eric and I each placed a pretty polished rock on his grave. I'm very, very, happy that we were there.

I carry my father with me in my chin & fingers & toes, in the way I describe the world, in the root of the stories I tell.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been following your trek around the country, Martha--it's the geography class I didn't pay attention to in jr. high. ;-) Today's entry brought a lump to my throat. I love it that someone is visiting your dad's grave, whoever they are. And it's weird, but not only is his b-day the day before mine, but Margaret's mom and Edie's son were also born on June 20. A special day, no doubt. Keep those blogs and pics comin'. See you both when you get back.
Love, Corinne

Unknown said...

It was sometime after your Father died that Leslie and I went down to visit Ronnal in that little house.

I never really thought Uncle Ronnal had much of a accent until that trip. You see... He gave us directions to find the house... He said to take the first left and look for a yellow house with, what it sounded like, was a "palm" tree out front. Well we drove down every road in Balmorhea looking for the combination of a yellow house and a palm tree... and never found it.

Finally called from the hotel and got the story and "heard it right" (He actually meant/said "pecan tree") All in all, it was probably my favorite road trip of the last decade. Hope you're enjoying it too.

Oh... Never did figure out where Hattie's place was. I remember fondly playing with the magnifying glass she read the paper with... And the warm, orange-red light, that filled her living room at night... And the adobe building out back... And all of her great paintings drying on the back porch (I've got seven of them on the walls of my living room today!)

Martha said...

What nice memories of Hattie's home! What I remember most clearly is the can for burning trash. Not such a romantic memory, but it really impressed me -- no trash burning in Long Beach, California.

I went to Balmorhea as a child, a few times after my father moved back, and two times since his death. This summer is the first time I've seen the town grow! There were several new businesses and more activity in general. It was good to see!