Sunday, June 24, 2007

Poetry Alert

Lisa and Tom came to our house yesterday, and we drove together to Corinne's birthday party. Janis met us there, and (aside from missing Pennie) the gang was all there.

It was goodgoodgood to see everyone.

Now I'm anticipating ten days in Mexico, where one sun-soaked, sleepy, day will lead to the next.

Not so long ago I believed I'd never travel outside of the US again. I figured I wouldn't want to be that far from my health care providers, or even be in a plane that long. I just didn't feel good enough. And I didn't mind (so much) being bald on the California coast, but I didn't think it'd be so hot in other parts of the world.

Even when my hair grew back and I started feeling better, I still had the unhealing wound-of-mystery, and it seemed unlikely that I could spend days and days and days in the ocean.

So all of this is gravy. I know to appreciate a bonus when I receive one, because I've felt that my life with Eric has been like winning a cosmic lottery. Even if I'd been lucky (lucky lucky) enough to grow old and cantankerous with Eric -- even if my years with him had far outnumbered my years without him -- I still would have considered that time a prize.

Writer Ray Carver was a worst-case-scenario alcoholic for much of his life. He was the sort of drunk who would drink tall glasses of nyquil when trying to stay off the hooch. But his hard-won sobriety cooincided with meeting the love-of-his-live (writer Tess Gallagher), and each day of his life post-alchohol felt like gravy to him.

He died of lung cancer after ten years of sobriety. I recently read his last poem, and I wanted to share it here, even though I KNOW people don't like poetry. Here it is.


Late Fragment

And did you get what
you wanted from this life, even so?
I did.
And what did you want?
To call myself beloved, to feel myself
beloved on the earth.

No comments: