Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Just thinking.

In my life as a worker bee I've crushed Teddy Ruxpins and I've manufactured egg crate mattresses. I've sold chateaubriand, cigarettes, slurpies, and lottery tickets. I've transcribed legal briefs. I've sold French roast. I've collected money and audited bills from insurance companies. I've surfed the internet. I've taken breaks. I've answered phones.

I've never done anything like what I'm doing now. Now I help children and families be more healthy. I do other things, too. I push paper and generate reports and prepare for audits. But I also help children and families be more healthy.

It's so much better from selling coffee -- even really good coffee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh martha, I am new here and dont know if--sorry still untrusting of technology--this will work. Life is good!!! Thanks for CAMP MARTHA--it works very well for campers :):), though I couldnt get pics off of your website? I have a certain amount of anger, disbelief, disapointment about your genetic counseling referal. These feelings are helping me to narrow the focus of my thesis--hoping to make a difference. I mean come on, duh, medical professionals, Martha should have been refered to genetics when her second first degree relative(parent,sibling,child) was diagnosed with early onset cancer!!
It was neglegent malpractice not to...and then this, but your not Jewish, comment is just pure stupidity. Not meaning to vent--just love you both, Sandy

Martha said...

Oh, Sandy -- you're such a good camper! I hope that we can all do it again (and again, and again).

I don't know what I would have, could have, done differently had I had early genetics counseling. Prophylactic mastectomy? Perhaps, but unlikely.

Pre-age-40 mammograms? Maybe. And maybe that would have helped. Maybe it wouldn't.

The thing is... I can't know what would have happened. I only know what DID happen. And living while dying (living happily while be conscious of dying) is enough of a challenge for me without what I always refer to as the stench of regret.

I'm glad there are smart and compassionate people like you who can be angry, unbelieving, disappointed, and who can do something good with that. That's not me, though. Not now, anyway.

Big love to you!

Martha