Monday, October 16, 2006

Well, that's done.

I'm at work and I've made the rounds of my immediate co-workers -- smiling, laughing, complaining about how cold my head is (which is true). I've probably acted more jolly than I feel, but I think that's a good thing in the long run.

Getting to be bald was hard. I didn't want it, I didn't like it, and the hair falling, falling, falling was upsetting. Getting here was hard, but being bald is okay. It's not my preferance, but it's okay. It's funny... it's like for a little while I'd forgotten who I am, which is someone who largely doesn't give a damn.

Somehow I was transported back to the seventh grade. And I'll tell you the truth: walking to Marshall Junior High School each morning (before I started walking to El Dorado Park every day instead) was a hell of a lot harder than walking into work today without hair. Today I have a right to take up space in the universe, and then I wanted to apologize for every step and misstep and breath.

I'm sure that someone will say something dumb today, because why should today be any different from any other day? And I know that as long as I'm bald, there will be times when I think it sucks.

But right now, today, it's ooookay -- a happy work precedent, and a trend that I think will continue.

No comments: