Thursday, October 05, 2006

Does anybody really know what time it is?

I'm at work, just-under-half-way done with the elementary school immunization audits. It's a big project.

I feel okay. I have some bone pain at the proximal aspect of my left femur. Beyond that I can't complain.

I've started telling my co-workers that I have cancer on accounta I'll be losing my hair soon. It's funny... the higher ranking folks (psychologists, directors, etc) have all gabbed. I told only the two directors who are in my chain of command, but apparently they told everyone else at their level.

But the two or three secretary-types that I told didn't say a word. None of the people who I have so much more interaction with have any idea.

The response has been warm and supportive. It's interesting that across the board I've been asked if it "runs" in my family.

There's a need to make sense of it, I think. Also there's a need to distance themselves from it. Just in general, these folks are fearful. They're afraid of immigrants and they're afraid their children will have less they had, and they're afraid of crime and they're afraid of cancer, and they really don't understand any of it.

But... they look sad when I tell them I have cancer. They say they think it's awful. They tell me that I have a great attitude and they never woulda guessed. And then they keep eating lunch with me and lauging at my jokes. I don't think I could ask for much more than that.

No comments: