Saturday, September 22, 2007

Halloween, Easter... Candy Holidays Are Good, Too

It's Yom Kippur and there are four Yahrzeit candles burning in our home -- one for my father, my mother, my brother, and Eric's father. The candles burn for 24 hours while we're supposed to be fasting and atoning for our sins.

I've fasted with Eric before, but not this year. And, frankly, I've never known Eric to do anything that required atonement.

I prefer holidays with pretty decorations and good food. Still, the candles are nice. It's good to be home, it's good that it's the weekend.

I stayed home from work yesterday although I really could have (perhaps should have) gone. I felt more or less okay, but decided to stay home and make Eric a nice pre-fast dinner instead of going to work.

It required all of my energy. I'm just not that spry. But I made a nice, traditional, Arroz con Pollo (which was started by rendering the fat from chorizo to use for the sofrito). And I made a yummy, buttery, brown sugarish, cream cheesey pastry thing for dessert.

He was happy, and I was happy and our friend, who's in town for the Phil show tomorrow, was happy.

Today I'm tired and taking it slow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're making me even more ashamed. would you believe i offered for mark and me to go to temple with our friend janet, assumed it was on saturday, and missed the damn thing. i felt like such an ignorant hick. (or is that gentile?)
i hope you and eric really enjoyed the delicious goodies you cooked. wish we'd been there.

Martha said...

Welcome to the rank of ignorant gentiles. I've been one for years. :)

Hope that we can see youse guys soon!