Saturday, August 18, 2007

:::Yawn::: Your turn!

We've been going, going, going, and today I was gone. We left our hotel this morning to tour the Iolani Palace, which was the official residence of the soverign nation of Hawaii's last two monarchs -- King Kalakaua, who built the Palace in 1882, and his sister and successor, Queen Lili`uokalani.

The palace was closed.

And it was hot, and I was tired... soooo tired, after an entire summer-on-the-go. I had crashed. So Eric and I went to the movies. Yes... we went to a dark, air-conditioned theater and saw Hairspray. It was the right movie and the right time; we laughed & laughed. We laughed whenever Christopher Walken came on screen, before he said his lines. We tapped our feet and wiggled in our seats with the music. It was good.

Then we went swimming at Waikiki. The beach at Waikiki didn't become so famous for nothing. It's crowded, but it's beautiful.

Tomorrow we're hanging out with Luana (yay!) and Sunday we fly home.

Here are a few pics:


We visited another rain forest in Volcano National Park. Loved it!


A rain forest can make the distinction between plant and animal seem kinda fuzzy.


We visited an orchid farm. Gorgeous!


The memorial at the sunken battleship Arizona at Pearl Harbor was more moving than we anticipated.


We spent more than hour navigating the World's Largest Maze in the hot, hot, sun.


Just another tourist!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so jay-lohs of yohr heeeeet! But frankly, I just came back from Kansas City, MO, and it felt hotter'n Hawaii there--downright tropical!

I was cranky when I saw "Hairspray" last weekend; I didn't like it as much as I wanted to. But C Walken is always fabulous, and Michelle P wasn't bad, either. (The kid who was supposed to be the heartthrob kinda creeped me out--maybe I'd think he was okay if I was 34 years younger!)

Say "hi" to L & Y for me.

Unknown said...

It's been fun following along with your trip... Looks from your pics like you had a great time. Hawaii is the place we ultimately want to get to. Wonder if we ever will.