Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Wednesday in Ketchikan

The lack of reasonably priced internet access aside, Alaska has been wonderful. The glaciers are awesome (truly) and the ship has been fun in that cruise ship way -- when not in port Eric and I have been playing games and running from one activity to the next. Having Jane and Neil on the ship has been a bonus!

I've wanted to see this part of the country for a long, long, time, and it's just as lovely as I'd imagined it to be. My pictures will never do it justice. I'm writing from the ship, docked in Ketchikan. We haven't been ashore yet -- I'm in the cabin, drinking coffee and downloading pictures from my camera to the computer. I'll likely post this to the blog this afternoon, after we return from town.

There's a crazy sort of limbo-feeling I get from being on a cruise ship. Time stops (or at least expands) and the days float by like icebergs. In some ways in would be nice to float here forever, away from the trials of normal life and cancer, cancer, cancer (which looms so large I have to say it three times).

BUT... I miss our friends. I hope everyone hasn't forgotten us while we've been chasing summer fun.

Here's just one picture of the sea of ice the ship had to negotiate yesterday in order to pull close to Hubbard Glacier:

No comments: