Monday, March 10, 2008

Fare Thee Well My Honey

This evening, March 9, 2008 at 10:45pm Martha left her body.

I was sitting at her side and nurse Mary was standing on the other side of her bed. We were talking about how much she loved me and how much I loved her. It was clear to both of us that she was listening to our conversation. Her breathing was labored, she would breath out, pause too too long, and draw in a breath. I said something about loving her and looked over to see the reaction on her face. In the seconds that I had looked away, her face had faded from jaudiced yellow to pale. The breath in never came. It was a peaceful death, at home, surrounded by friends and family, pain managed, no indignities.

This blog was her gift to me. A vehicle to sing my praises as much as a chronicle of her journey with cancer. I will treasure it always. Martha suggested on numerous occasions that I might enjoy blogging myself. So far, I can't say much for the experience. Who knows? Perhaps I will keep it going? For now I can at least promise that I will post again to let you three regular readers (and you lurkers as well)know when and where we will be gathering soon to celebrate her life.

Thank You All
Eric

10 comments:

Pam in GA. said...

I am just so so sorry. I know this was hard for you to post. PLEASE post contacts or arrangements if you can.

You were so good to her, what a love story.

Pam in GA.

Anonymous said...

Eric, my thoughts are with you and with Martha. I am so grateful to have been a witness to the amazing partnership you two had.

With love for you both,

Trevor

muki said...

I remember when Eric and Martha first met and they shared such an intense love that the cynic in me figured, they would be brought back to earthly levels in no time and have a typical relationship. Well I checked in over the months and years and watched a beautiful and truly loving relationship ever evolving, one that has been a role model for me and my life. Thank you Martha for that beautiful gift and for loving my good friend Eric and taking care of him always showering him with love.

Muki

Unknown said...

Eric, Our love goes out to you.. Duane & Leslie

Anonymous said...

I never met Martha in person but feel I knew her thru her blog and Jane. She touched me deeply and I will miss her. What a special love to have shared. Our thoughts are with you, Eric.

Judie K

Cat said...

Hugs,
Liesl***

Anonymous said...

goodnight, sweet martha,
and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this with us, Eric. I'm so sorry I won't be there to say Aloha with you. Big hugs to you, Jane, Tom, Janis & Corrine.
Love always
Luana

Corinne said...

I dreamt of you the other night, your red hair tied back, talking of ordinary things. I dream of you now, painless, soaring, and smiling at the gatherings of those of us left behind.

My glass is raised to you, Ms. Martha. You were a class act to the end.

I will see you when the next Camp Martha roll is called -- I still need to earn my merit badge.

Will you be singing all day?

Much love always,
Corinne

Barry said...

eric - i just heard today. i'm so sorry.

be well.

barry